The Biological & Agricultural Engineering Shop is a departmental facility that has the capability of turning ideas into realities. Our primary mission is to provide support services to UC Davis research projects through the design and fabrication of equipment.
BAE faculty, students, and visiting scholars are welcome to use the tools and machines within the shop once they have completed departmental shop and equipment specific safety training. Shop staff services may also be requested by completing a service request form including a UC account number and an authorized signature.
- Custom prototyping/machining
- Complete welding and metal fabrication
- Engineering, design, and CAD (SolidWorks)
- CNC and manual machining
- Research support
- Basic wiring and electronics development
- Repair of broken parts
- Full welding capabilities: 2 Miller 350LX T.I.G. machines, 1 Miller 350P M.I.G. welding machine, 1 Hobart Handler 120v M.I.G., 1 Miller Spectrum 1250 plasma cutter, 1 Linde VI 253C M.I.G. machine, and several welding turntables.
- Welding Processes: T.I.G., M.I.G., stick, pulse M.I.G., spray arc, flux core, oxy acetylene, silver soldering and brazing.
- Metal fabrication and forming: 100 ton Pittsburg Ironworker, Ellis belt sander, Ellis 1600 mitre cutting band saw, Marvel vertical band saw, 6 foot power sheet metal shear, 25 ton arbor press, various sheet metal box and pan brakes and other metal working machines.
- Full service machine shop: 4 Bridgeport milling machines: one 2 axis CNC 9 x 48 bed, one 3 axis CNC 9 x 48 bed, and two manual 9 x 42 bed with DRO'S. A Milltronics 3 axis CNC mill with a 16 x 54 bed and a Haas TL-1 CNC lathe. Various other lathes, manual mills, and drill presses.
- Sand blaster and glass bead blaster
- Electronics lab: soldering irons, multimeters, power supplies, oscilloscopes, function generators, and wiring supplies.
|Rate Name||UC Rate|
|Shop Staff Hourly Rate||$89.00|
|Student Hourly Rate||$22.00|
Tom Bell Supervisor firstname.lastname@example.org
Jed Roach Engineer email@example.com
Andy Cobb Mechanician firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of Biological and Agricultural Engineering Shop
1329 Bainer Hall
University of California, Davis
1 Shields Avenue
Davis, CA 95616