RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT INTERNSHIP at CHURCH BROTHERS
Position: R&D Intern
Department: Food Safety and Quality; Marketing
Reports to: Research and Development Manager
Location: San Juan Bautista, CA
Availability: Full time during the summer months. Intern can also work part time from April to June (schedule to be determined based on intern’s class schedule).
Summary: The R&D Intern will be integrated in a recently created R&D team assisting different tasks related to the development of new products and processes of fresh-cut vegetables. This is a great opportunity to learn for students seeking a career in R&D and scientific/technical aspects of product development, from seed selection to final customer.
Work schedule, travel and housing requirements:
· Hours: 8:00 A.M. – 4:00 P.M. Flexibility with work schedule a must.
· Requires local area travel, personal use of vehicle; must have a valid driver’s license and be insured.
Work-related mileage will be reimbursed;
· Internship requires occasional travel to Salinas Valley to assist field trials.
· Must seek own housing.
Desired skills, abilities and requirements:
· Candidates must be pursuing a bachelor degree in Agriculture/Horticulture, Food Science, Biology or
· Candidates must possess interest in science; have a curious mind and good attention to details.
· Strong Microsoft Word, Excel and Power Point skills
· Ability to work with peers and other functional groups as a team
· Confident verbal and written communication skills
Tasks & Projects:
· R&D team provides cross-functional support to different departments of the organization, providing
scientific and technical leadership for the development of new/existing product and processes. The
intern will support different projects in the following areas:
- Pre-harvest/Post-harvest: Evaluation of new varieties, evaluation of harvest techniques, postharvest handling practices, shelf-life potential, etc.
- Process improvements: validation of processing lines, fresh-cut machinery, etc.
- Product development: Packaging design and optimization.
- Support laboratory daily activities: routine evaluations, data entry, maintenance, etc.
- Other duties and tasks as assigned.
Apply to email@example.com (Subject: R&D Intern – Internship Program)